Representing a small island in East Asia, Taiwan is a country that boasts a very well developed economy oriented towards foreign trade affairs. The wide openness of the country to the international market, combined with its widespread Internet culture, brings to focus the importance of Taiwan's official top-level domain name - .TW.
Why register a .TW domain?
Today, owning a web presence under the .TW domain is a priority task for most of the entities, both private and commercial, aimed at gaining an online recognition among the Taiwanese Internet audience.
Although well open to the Western influences, Taiwanese hold firmly to their local culture values, so .TW websites have better chances of appealing to the target visitors than websites using any of the popular generic extensions like .COM, .NET, .INFO, etc. do.
Second-level .TW domains
While .TW is intended for general use and can be freely registered for any types of sites, there are some second level .TW domains that are reserved for specific purposes. The most popular of them include - .COM.TW for commercial sites, .ORG.TW for non-profit organizations, .IDV.TW for individuals, .NET.TW - reserved for network and telecommunications license holders, as well as thematic unrestricted use .TW extensions like .game.tw, .ebiz.tw and club.tw.
.TW registration requirements
.TW domains are wide open for registration to anyone, with no specific registrant country restrictions set by the .TW registry. Whatever the purpose of your site, you can apply for a .TW domain and bring your web presence a few steps closer to the Taiwanese audience. You are allowed to register as many domains as you wish under the same registrant details.
.TW management options
If it is on your schedule to own a .TW domain for your Taiwan-related website - you will be able to register yours for a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 10 years. The .TW registration comes with loads of management options such as .TW domain parking, Full Whois Management and Custom DNS Records like MX & A Records, NS Records, AAAA Records, SRV Records, TXT Records, etc.
|Type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registration period||1-10 years|
Other supported TLDs:
Generic (gTLDs): .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .mobi, .name, .co, .pro, .website, .services, .solutions, .space, .xyz, .club, .news, .top, .company, .deals, .guru, .ninja, .site, .family, .party, .online, .tech, .fun, .press, .store
African ccTLDS: .co.za
|Period||.tw + Hosting||.tw Only|
- .TW Registrar-Lock – allows the domain owner to lock his/her domain name, in order to avoid unauthorized, or accidental changes to the domain name.
- .TW Transfer – means change of the domain registrar; usually 1 year is added to the registration upon successful completion of the transfer. Domain transfer fee is equal to the domain registration fee. In some cases, an EPP authorization key is required. It must be obtained from the domain's current registrar.
- .TW Edit WHOIS – allows the publicly displayed WHOIS information of the domain name to be edited.
- .TW ID Protect – allows protection of the publicly available WHOIS information by replacing it with fictitious information.
- .TW Registration Period – various TLDs can be registered for different periods.
- .TW Single registration/transfer – this refers to the price of a 1-year registration/transfer for a particular TLD, purchased with a web hosting plan. For the majority of TLDs, the minimum registration period is 1 year. For the TLDs marked with "*" this period is 2 years.